Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Garlic-Roasted Salmon

This is kind of a pause month for my Time-Life Foods of the World project, so I needed to choose another book for October. Given that this month has little time and attention for serious cooking, I thought I might exercise one of my "quick dinner" books. I decided I really didn't need to keep around the first book I looked at—I copied one recipe and have put the book in the recycle box. A second book still leaves me a bit iffy; I'll have a closer look at this one before long, when I might copy more than one recipe before recycling it. I ended up choosing Desperation Dinners, by Beverly Mills and Alica Ross.


I've actually cooked just a bit from this book in the past and have a couple of favorites. But beyond those, I've hardly turned a page. It suits this month to concentrate on fast and easy dishes.

It was shopping day today, so we had fresh fish. Tonight it was Garlic-RoastedSalmon (p282). This is, as promised, really simple and really fast. Your bits of fish are topped with minced garlic and bottled minced ginger. Rather than mincing or using from a jar, I used my microplane to grate both garlic and ginger. I sprayed my fish with olive oil, then mixed the garlic and ginger together and spread the mixture on the fish. The recipe asks to cook the fish in a 500F oven, but my no-longer-so-new stove has a separate (gas) broiler and I used that instead. This dish could hardly be simpler and was very yummy.


Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their October cookbook. If you've got books on your shelf wanting to be used, why don't you choose one and join in?

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a lovely meal, quick to put together and tastes great too! The title of the book is very interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love salmon. And I love the sound of this one. Time to grab some salmon from the freezer!

    ReplyDelete